Recently I was contacted by a Disney Hyperion publicist to try out a new book. "Sure," I thought. "Sounds like fun. Super heroes? I'm all about Marvel movies ... though I have to admit I haven't read
many of the comics." YET.
Twelve magical superpowers.
One sinister conspiracy.
One unlikely hero.
Stan Lee presents a brand new, magical, super-powered adventure! When twelve magical superpowers are unleashed on the world, a Chinese-American teenager named Steven will be thrown into the middle of an epic global chase. He'll have to master strange powers, outrun super-powered mercenaries, and unlock the mysterious powers of the Zodiac.
The team behind the story ... Stan Lee, Stuart Moore, and Andie Tong
Now. Things I loved and things I'd like to see them improve upon ...
- Great artwork. I love the choice to use three colors. Culturally significant and gives it a streamlined, bold look.
- The variety of characters could be a plus. Not everyone got as much page development time but that leaves things nice and open for new stories. Each character is so different!
- Who doesn't think a few super powers would be fun?
- Not to give anything away but great twist at the end. Didn't see it coming and it definitely has me curious for the next installment.
- A couple typos that really ... editing should catch that. I know, it sounds nit-picky. We're all human and we make mistakes. I just have high expectations.
- It's longer than it needed to be. Like ... by about a hundred pages. Tighten up sentence structure and cut some unnecessary stuff and more kids would actually finish it.
Here's a fun little generator to share with readers.
Interested in a little giveaway? They are letting me give away a copy of the book with some temporary tattoos! Enter below. If I set up the Rafflecopter properly it will pick the winner on Friday. If I messed it up (first try!) then I'll just random.org the comments. US only.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Learn More at DisneyZodiac.com
Watch the Book Trailer
Follow DisneyHyperion on Twitter